Monday, September 21, 2009

Equality in sports

Other day I was watching golf (not that I am a great admirer of the sport but I did not have any other English speaking channel in Paris hotel). Interestingly it turned out to be some kind of women's championship. Nothing wrong with it but it made me think, why we need to discriminate between men and women in golf. After all the sport does not make you sweat much physically.

Further I kept pondering about the sports which should not have gender bias e.g. chess, poker (if you consider this as sport) etc. As a matter of fact, in chess men and women are allowed to participate together for the world championship, but there is also a separate women's championship.

From Olympics point of view, Equestrian is the only sport where men and women can compete equally. But personally I feel there can be many more opportunities where this equality can be established. Classification should be primarily on the basis of whether the involvement demands physical strength or intellectual power. To name a few, we should definitely experiment the thought for archery, shooting, diving (perhaps).

No comments:

Post a Comment